21 April 2015

Quote for the day -- the plague

From a posting on Nashua, New Hampshire -- the town where the Republican Leadership Summit was just held:

At the Church of Good Shepherd across Main Street a daily meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous had ended and several people stood on the sidewalk talking and smoking cigarettes, some looking as if their immediate future was simply the long day ahead, an agonizing wait before the next meeting when they would again fight temptation together. One of them, Eddie, a 26-year old-unemployed machinist, walked across Main Street to Joanne’s Kitchen & Coffee Shop, where he sat, sipping his coffee, reading the sports page.

"Heroin," Eddie said. "That’s one of the biggest problems here. It’s all over the place and it’s cheap too. I used to do it but not anymore."

I'm willing to bet that the irony sailed right over the heads of 99% of the people who read this -- and over the head of the author, too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Zosimus the Heathen said...

Ha ha. That reminds me of how I'm barely functional myself until I've had my first cup or two of coffee for the day (what's really weird is that I used to hate the stuff too)!

21 April, 2015 05:04  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Actually, I was referring to the fact that the people worried about a dangerous, addictive drug were smoking cigarettes.

21 April, 2015 05:31  
Blogger okjimm said...

pppfffffttt... I gave up irony with my office job. I like my shirts with wrinkles....just like my face, thank you very much.

22 April, 2015 08:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home