07 September 2014

Link round-up for 7 September 2014

Here are some perfectly-timed dog photos.

Now I've seen everything -- neo-Nazi bronies.

To jump or not to jump?

Murr Brewster examines flatworm biology.

Yes, people as stupid as this actually exist.

Comics illustrate the strange conservative ambivalence about female sexuality.

What would happen if you had all the money in the world?

These two guys have plenty in common.  More here.

Time's running out to enact the Obama agenda.

Republic of Gilead looks at the Christian Right's ugly and callous exploitation of Robin Williams's suicide.

Bush exploded the deficit, Obama cut it back down.

States run by Republicans lag behind economically (found via Jobsanger).

Two North Carolina men are released after 30 years in prison for a crime they didn't commit.  Squatlo Rant looks at the Scalia angle on the case and the likelihood that there are many more such cases.

Green Eagle's latest Wingnut Wrapup includes the stupidest Social Security headline ever; he also looks at the vast crowds demonstrating for Obama's impeachment.

One annoying form of bank money-grubbing is on the decline.

Brains and Eggs has reactions to Wendy Davis's abortion revelation.

There are reasons why some conservatives downplay the evils of slavery.

Jobsanger has a round-up of Bernie Sanders quotes.

As unions decline, something else rises.

Democratic officials warn that even the mere prospect of executive action on illegal aliens could cost us the Senate.

A conference of religious bigots in Australia draws heavy protests.

In Iraq, Kurds and Shiites are pushing back ISIS/Islamic State, but they're getting outside help to do it.

Here's how pervasive India's public-defecation problem is.

India doesn't have gay marriage, but it apparently has this.

The head of Médecins sans Frontières wants a military response to the Ebola outbreak.

=====

Country other than the US from which I got the most page views this week: Russia.

9 Comments:

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

"Country other than the US from which I got the most page views this week: Russia."

Poor Russians have to go somewhere to read what's going on.

Это истинно? Нет ?

07 September, 2014 18:08  
Blogger Unknown said...

What I found most interesting about the "All Jews" thread was just how much racism was in it. I got the impression there were a lot of people who were kind of generic racists: hating pretty much any group they could put a name to.

Over the weekends, I wrote a little meta post, Spam Geography at Frankly Curious. I managed to extract a fairly accurate estimate of how many real (as opposed to spam) visitors I was getting for the first four days of the month. I was surprised to see that roughly half of my Russian traffic was real. In the past, I've been overrun with spammers from former Soviet countries. Also interesting: China is 100% spam! I'd be really interested what other blogs get. My guess is that they would see much the same thing.

And finally: you are really creeping me out about India!

08 September, 2014 14:35  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Shaw: I hope that's what it is. I have done a fair number of posts about Russia. Given their controlled media, the internet is the only way they have of getting real news.

Frank: F169 is infested with racists, unfortunately. The owner is aware of the problem, but his hands are tied by his commitment to free speech.

Were you here when I did "Hinduism week"? This, this, and this. And of course there's this.

08 September, 2014 14:58  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm afraid to click on those links! There are lots of problems with Hinduism, but they have some of the coolest gods ever. I love this Roger Hodge description of Obama's writing in The Audacity of Hope, "Obama presents a dizzying series of hands—on the one and then the other, repeatedly, like some hyper-discursive blue-skinned Hindu deity..." But it isn't the religion that I'm worried about; I'm just concerned about learning any more than you've already taught me about their defecation habits!

08 September, 2014 16:24  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I'm afraid to click on those links!

Wuss.:-) Actually none of those links are poo-related except the last one -- except in the metaphorical sense that any religion resembles a product of defecation.

08 September, 2014 19:53  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Wuss." Indeed! I am still recovering from just hearing about The Human Centipede earlier this year. I will check out the articles -- except the last one!

09 September, 2014 11:53  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I would never watch something like The Human Centipede because it seems like nothing but an exercise in imagining revoltingness for its own sake. But events in India and Africa, for better or worse, are part of the real world we all have to live in, and we need to deal with that world as it actually is. That's how I see things, anyway.

10 September, 2014 05:24  
Anonymous Zosimus the Heathen said...

Frank: I am still recovering from just hearing about The Human Centipede earlier this year.

Heh, I remember once having a sleepless night after just listening to someone recount the plot of John Carpenter's The Thing - it sounded that creepy! I summoned up the courage to watch it a few years later, however, and found I actually enjoyed it, even though there're probably a few scenes from it I wish I could "unsee".

Infidel: I would never watch something like The Human Centipede because it seems like nothing but an exercise in imagining revoltingness for its own sake.

A morbidly curious part of me actually wants to see that movie, simply because of how over-the-top I've heard it is, though another part of me feels I'd regret it if I did. Funnily enough, just a few days ago, I found myself looking up some stuff about The Fly and its sequel, and coming to the conclusion that I have even less desire to see those movies now than I did when they came out. I've found that just reading about what happens in them (particularly the second one) has really disturbed me, as has viewing some images from them. I sort of have a bit of a love/hate relationship with horror movies, I have to admit!

11 September, 2014 05:02  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Zosimus: The Jeff Goldblum version of The Fly is probably the most disturbing movie I've ever seen, with the possible exception of The Cell -- all the more so because of Goldblum's Oscar-caliber performance, which makes it far more involving. On the whole I'm glad I saw it, though it's not something I'd care to see twice. (The sequel was simply a geek show, as I gather The Human Centipede is.)

But one can pick and choose among works of art -- indeed one must, since the choice available is so vast. The real world, on the other hand, must be seen for what it truly is.

11 September, 2014 05:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home