16 December 2011

Christopher Hitchens, 1949-2011


We have lost one of our best. Christopher Hitchens spent most of his adult life unflinchingly confronting and denouncing "the main source of hatred in the world"; he contributed to the enlighten- ment of millions -- and even now his words and ideas remain.



He didn't shy from taking on the sacred cows:



Here he is on one of the common religious lies, that the Nazi regime was atheist and was influenced by the theory of evolution:



A naturalized American, he understood the greatness of his adopted country better than many who were born here:



I will not offer the common fatuosity of "Rest in peace". We know that death is not rest, any more than it is a gateway to an afterlife of eternal torment or a trite and inane paradise. Instead I remind myself of the hope that technology will someday be able to bring him back, to a world better than the one he fought to enlighten.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

I havent even heard about this before this posting infodell, but of course I expected it. He will continue to be inspiration and a hero to many folk's anywayz. I read his book "god is NOT GREAT" I got through you, before I ever knew anything about the guy, quite a compelling read too, that I recommend for anyone, even religious folk's, because of the point's he make's (many) ... I dont look at his view's as just strickly for the aetheist crowd's though, alot of this stuff concerning religion's/ questioning these archetype's actual existence beside's within the mind through programming, etc, should and need's to be exposed for what it really is.

16 December, 2011 04:41  
Blogger Ahab said...

Here's to his achievements and the contributions he made to the nonbeliever community. He will be missed.

16 December, 2011 06:42  
Blogger Linda said...

He was one of my favorite people. I really admired his intelligence, bluntness and honesty. This is a great loss for the human race. :(

16 December, 2011 10:47  
Blogger Nance said...

The man had such WORDS...such command of the language and clarity of thought...such courage. He gave me a little courage, too. I'm glad to have his last three books on my shelves to return to now.

16 December, 2011 17:06  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

This was a hard one to take. He will be missed.

I have his "Essential Readings for the Non Believer" at my bedside, as well as "God is Not Great."

One of the nicest experiences I had while visiting my family in SoCal last month was introducing my grandson to Hitchens. We sat together and listened to his debates with believers and cheered every point he so deftly and stingingly made.

16 December, 2011 17:41  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I appreciate all the comments. Hitchens was a man who touched many.

16 December, 2011 17:48  
Anonymous krissthesexyatheist said...

If there is a hell (there's not) then you and I will meet him later...and have a drink.

Kriss

16 December, 2011 19:41  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

You, me, Hitch, and Satan hanging out -- sounds cool.

17 December, 2011 06:00  
Blogger Ahab said...

When I die and descend into Hell, can I hang out with you guys too? I'd love to pick Hitchens' brain, and I have some hefeweissen I think Satan would enjoy.

17 December, 2011 10:40  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Gonna be quite a party.....

17 December, 2011 11:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home