03 February 2010

A potpourri of Popery

Church pressure may have intimidated Hollywood into dropping plans for two sequels to the Golden Compass movie, despite its international success.

An Andrew Sullivan reader hilariously tries to defend the Vatican stance on masturbation (with bonus Monty Python video).

Pope John Paul II was into a different kind of beating it.

The current Pope is about to visit Britain -- at the British govern-ment's expense, or, as PZ Myers puts it, "this is being treated as a state visit and the British government is plunking down £20 million for the dubious privilege of having a weird geezer in a dress pretend to be speaking for an imaginary man in the sky to a gullible public." If you're British, there's a petition at the link.

We now return to our previously-scheduled dubious shenanigans with altar boys.

4 Comments:

Anonymous rita said...

I think I've mentioned this before but I checked out the whole trilogy "His Dark Materials" By Phillip Pullman from the library a few years ago when it was still in the young adult section. The Librarian & I laughed that the fundies were making a big deal out of the "Harry Potter" books when this one was right under their noses. The book has since been moved to the adult book section.
I was curious about the movie when I heard it was coming out. When I heard they were going to take the relevant unflattering references to the church out, I lost interest.
I thought the trilogy was a wonderful read, but could only be so, in it's pure unadulterated form.

03 February, 2010 07:19  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I actually didn't much care for the books -- at least not for the ending of the series. Haven't seen the movie. It's clear enough why the Catholic Church would freak out, though.

I don't see how it would be possible to "take the relevant unflattering references to the church out" without a complete re-write, but we all know how often that happens to novels when they're filmed.

Every time I came across the name of the evil Mrs. Coulter in the books, it made me think of Ann Coulter.

03 February, 2010 08:18  
Blogger mendip said...

It's quite amusing to hear a christer talking about fantasies being lies and to be avoided. "You first", would be my response...

03 February, 2010 11:03  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Mendip: Heh! Good point.

03 February, 2010 12:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home