16 April 2008

The Bible, 123'd

After I posted this, Mary Ellen added a comment:

I did this one already and it was fun. It's a good thing I didn't have my Bible right next to me, I might have accidentally evangelized someone. Yikes!

This made me curious to see what the result would be if someone actually did this. In my copy of the Bible (KJV), page 123 falls within the Book of Numbers. Figuring what constitutes a single sentence as best I can in the face of the book's unconventional usage of punctuation, for the three sentences following the fifth sentence, I get this:

"Thus did your fathers, when I sent them from Kadesh-barnea to see the land. For when they went up unto the valley of Eshcol, and saw the land, they discouraged the heart of the children of Israel, that they should not go into the land which the Lord had given them. And the Lord's anger was kindled the same time, and he sware, saying, Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt, from twenty years old and upward, shall see the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob; because they have not wholly followed me: Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the Lord."

So there you have it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The origins of one endless war?

I don't own a Bible anymore. The odd thing is that even with the faint whiff of Christianity in this house (nothing I can do about it- lol), there's no Bible here at all. ?

16 April, 2008 09:51  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

It's not a sign of impending conversion.....I've had that Bible for decades. I also have the Koran (in English and the original Arabic), the Kojiki (Shinto scripture), the Satanic Bible, and even Mein Kampf. Just trying to be well-rounded.:-)

16 April, 2008 11:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home